PEER Consultants (PEER) is part of the Program Management Team (PMT) overseeing the planning, design, bidding, and construction services for the City of Baltimore’s water distribution system. The distribution system consists of more than 4,500 miles of aging piping throughout the City and County, which is deteriorating and experiencing leaks, breaks, and decreasing water pressure. In order to address these problems, the City plans to design and replace 25 to 40 miles of pipe annually starting in fiscal year 2013.
PEER is responsible for reviewing the design of water main replacement and rehabilitation and specifications for approximately 65 miles of water main replacement and performs the following scope of work:
- Finalize limits of water mains to be replaced
- Recommend conceptual alignment
- Collect and compile existing data
- Obtain topographic survey information
- Confirm water meter data
- Field verify utilities and water meter locations
- Develop water main plans, profiles, and details
- Develop specifications, construction schedules and estimates
- Perform environmental assessments and obtain environmental permits
- Perform geotechnical and corrosion investigations
- Develop sediment and erosion control design
- Perform subsurface utility engineering investigations (test pits and utility designation)
- Prepare traffic control plans
- Obtain non-environmental permits and easements, and
- Implement community outreach programs.
Following selection of the design engineers, PEER assists the City with contract negotiations, preparation of Final Contract Agreements, and Notice-to-Proceed. PEER also provides QA/QC review of 30%, 60%, 90% and 100% design memoranda and Bid Ready documents.