PEER Consultants, P.C. (PEER) performed Phase I Environmental Site Assessments for the Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) on an “as needed basis” for 3 years. During this period, PEER prepared nineteen (19) Phase I ESA reports after performing the assessments at nineteen (19) sites within the District of Columbia DHCD inventory. The Phase I ESAs were performed in accordance with the ASTM E1527-05 “Standard Practice for Environmental Site Assessments: Phase I Environmental Site Assessment Process” to identify any potential recognized environmental conditions (RECs), historical recognized environmental condition (HRECs), controlled recognized environmental condition (CRECs) and/or suspect recognized environmental conditions (SRECs) at the site, on the adjoining properties and/or on nearby properties.
PEER performed the following specific services under this contract:
- Reviewed site records and other relevant information made available by the Government of the District of Columbia.
- Inspected facilities and conducted a walk-through of accessible internal structures, external areas, and the site perimeter. Interviewed management personnel concerning current and past equipment, processes, and procedures. Observations were documented with photographs and diagrams.
- Interviewed past or current owners or operators of the site and representatives from local regulatory agencies to obtain information on known environmental conditions on the site.
- Reviewed EDR-Radius Maps, with GeoCheck®, environmental report consisting of Federal and District of Columbia databases and USGS topographic maps.
- Performed a ‘records and literature’ survey of the environmental setting, including: site geology, groundwater use, surface water, sensitive environmental areas, and adjacent commercial or industrial use.
- Reviewed and interpreted aerial photographs, Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps, Historical Directories, and other historical documents for the site, extending back to at least 40 years. This involved the historical search of available and readily obtainable documents to determine past uses of the site, including land and improvements.
- After the site visits were completed, PEER prepared and submitted the final Phase I ESA reports to DHCD with its findings, recommendations, and conclusions.